Connecting with Mothers from Across the Country


Mothers connecting and learning more about each other.

The weekend of the National Conference began at the Willard Hotel, just steps away from the White House. It is the oldest, most iconic hotel in Washington, D.C. Just standing there gives one a historic feeling, a feeling that you are a part of something great.

The first day was packed full of getting to know new moms from across America. We had this beautiful and instant bond with one another. We could relate to all the joys and frustrations, the everyday ups and downs, that go with being a mother — the most important job on earth.

From the horse trainer in Flagstaff to the photographer in Wisconsin and even a fitness trainer in Hawaii; these women were doing amazing things for their families and communities. I was in awe of the vast capabilities of these, the women of our world. I am grateful that I had the opportunity to meet and learn from them. Plus, the best thing was that they were all moms!

Mom to Mom Conference class.

Senator Orrin Hatch and LouAnn Christensen

On the second day, we had a Mom to Mom Conference and learned about things that impact our communities, and how we as mothers can become even better at what we do. After lunch we got to visit the Hill and see more of DC. I had the opportunity to meet with both Senators from Hawaii and well as Senator John McCain. We enlisted the aid of an intern in giving us a tour. Those moms who had never before been to DC were delighted at how much we were able to see and do in such a short span of time. It was a historical and wonder-filled day. Our Utah Mother of the Year LouAnn Christensen and 2017 Utah and National Mother of Achievement Sharon Lay had the opportunity to meet with Senators Orrin Hatch and Mike Lee to discuss areas of concern for mothers and families of Utah.

The last day was what I affectionately refer to as “The Day of Food”. Over a lovely breakfast we enjoyed listening to a touching address about foster parenting. Following that was the Honor Luncheon and then tea. The day ended with the Gala. My son Sammy, who has a bottomless pit of a stomach, even said: “That’s too much food mom!”

During the Gala the 2017 National Mother of the Year was named – Rebecca Latham of New Mexico. Rebecca is the proud mother of two children,  the Cabinet Secretary of the New Mexico Tourism Department, and a “real” person. She is quoted as saying that on a recent bad day, “I realized that I spend about 85% of every day doubting myself, and the other 15% wondering if my skirt is tucked into the back of my panty hose.”  To read her 3-minute speech click here: “Keep on Believing and Never Give Up!”

If you have never experienced one of American Mothers National Conferences I would encourage you to attend. It was an amazing experience, one that I cherish. I hope to see you next time!

SAVE THE DATE!  The 2018 National Convention will be held at The Mayflower Hotel in Washington, D.C from April 22 – 24, 2018.

Nadine Milham, Utah Mothers Association 2nd Vice President, was one of the delegates at the National Convention to represent Utah Mothers.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *